Friday, November 9, 2007

Task #19 Web 2.0 Awards

I had a look at two different tools. First, I looked at Personalised Google which I quite liked. It should certainly cut down on the rubbish you receive searching across all of Google.

Second, and remarkably for the first time ever, I had a look at Facebook. I have deliberately avoided Facebook and similar sites partly because I saw them as a teenager's environment and partly because I was freaked out by the slightly voyeuristic nature of these sites. Having visited Facebook I am now even more freaked out by it. To view anything I had to sign up. Does that mean the world can now find me at Facebook? I went searching for someone I knew and to have even a little look at their profile my activity was recorded and would be visible to the person I searched for. The feeling that I couldn't make a move without it being tracked disturbs me and, personally, I could think of nothing worse than the whole world viewing my profile on a website.

Clearly, I am in the minority with this attitude given the popularity of these sites. But it really makes me wonder about the motivation behind this social networking phenomenon. Are we all exhibitionists at heart or are we all feeling really isolated and need to connect with people throught the web. Or maybe Generation Y are just really comfortable with a world where their entire lives are an open book. Whatever it is, it's not for me.

No comments: