Saturday, October 20, 2007

Task #13 Del.icio.us

This was the exercise when it really hit me. I shut my eyes just briefly and the world changed. When did this social networking phenomenon explode? Why didn't I know it was happening? Why didn't I realise that the role of a librarian was being fundamentally challenged by a generation of internet savvy young people who don't feel tied to any rules or traditions but feel totally free to create their own methods of managing information?

One part of me is terrified by these changes. The other part is excited by the possibilities and the chance to be one of the old guard who moves with the times. Most of me is exhausted by the effort of getting my head around soooo many new ideas.

I am not absolutely convinced that something like del.icio.us is sustainable. Won't this lead to complete anarchy where it is impossible to feel confident that you are accessing all the relevant information because there is no control over the access points. I liked taxonomies. I liked knowing there was a single entry point. But that is just the old librarian in me talking. Roll on brave new world.

No comments: